Thursday, January 22, 2009

I Need a Nap

Okay, so I volunteered in Zoe's Kindergarten class today for one hour. I thought, this'll be fun. How hard can Kinder be? I mean, I've been teaching 5th/6th grade for 13 years now.....Holy Frijoles! I had no idea how rambunctious they are! I had 4 groups circulate through my math center. One kid hid under the table and wouldn't come out until I threatened him with a time out. Another kid stuck his tongue out at me and said he didn't have to listen to me. I told him I knew his mother and that I'd call her to tell her about his behavior if he didn't behave. Another kid kept cheating at the math game and was loud and unruly. I reminded him that I work with his mom and that I would let her know how he was doing if he didn't shape up. Another kid lost the math game with his partner and started bawling like a banshee. OMG! What the farnum is up with these boys? After the hour was over I decided that I love 5th/6th graders, and that Zoe will be locked up when she's of dating age. Oh, and I'm going to be very, very, very nice to Zoe's teacher from now on.
One little girl asked me, "Why are you wearing a hat inside?" I said, "Because I'm bald." She didn't know what that meant and when I told her, her eyes got HUGE. She was so cute. She asked me what color my hair was the last time I had it.
And I'm doing this every other week until June!

3 comments:

Tony said...

As a Kindergarten teacher all I can do right now is laugh!!! A few weeks back I got showered with spit by a little girl who was working so hard to make the /p/ sound, then a little guy coughed so hard and a yellow loogey flew out onto my arm, and another sweetie hugged me with paint all over her arms and hands and I was covered in her sunshine yellow paint----and this was just by lunchtime. Gotta love those little creatures!!

Woen said...

I think its the boys who need to be locked up at dating age.

Being one I know of which I speak. Snicker snicker.

I was going to go on every date with a gun in my lap when my daughter was dating age.

Those kinders sound a lot like the 6th graders I hear about.

Meg said...

Hi Danette. Boy you are brave! Taking on another class?

As Woen commented, this one sounds like it has a lot in common with my current 6th graders. Maybe its the middle school environment that alters their developing egos. I need a nap every day this year and on week-ends I need two. Kind of like an electric car. I make it through the day, but I need a long time to recharge.

Are their plusses? Of course. Hugs at the coffee shop when they run into me in "real" life. Thank-yous when they actually "get" something. Shy help volunteered after school and more.

Lots of luck in K. See you soon.
Love Me(g)