Monday, February 16, 2009


My Auntie Ina came down from Whidbey Island to spend the week with us. Treatment #10 was a tough one, so Ina was a great help. She connected with the kids immediately and won them over with her ability to imagine and play. She was like a third kid in the house (one who does laundry, dishes, sweeps and runs errands.) We had the opportunity to visit Neil and Evangeline again in Bodega for the weekend, which turned out to be nice despite the rain. As you can see, Ina and Zoe are water spirits. It was really cold and windy, but they could only feel the pull of the ocean, begging them to play. Kai and I (the smart ones) were in the car cuddling and eating pretzels.
I've always felt a deep bond with my aunt, ever since I was Zoe's age, so this week was extremely special for me to catch up and exchange thoughts on family, education, books, movies and even a speck of religion. She inspires hope and courage so naturally, it's no wonder that when she left on Sunday, I felt a loss entwined with the gratitude.







































3 comments:

Sandee said...

Those ocean photos are incredible. Ina has forever been drawn to water. It looks like Zoe is just like Ina in that respect so watch out; she'll dash into public water fountains, swim in rivers, let the fish tickle her toes in the lakes and turn into a prune in the bathtub! (I'm with you...give me a warm space and carbs!)

Woen said...

That is how I reeled Ina in. Taking her to water. On a drive when we were dating I took her to several rivers and we dangled our feet in them. Sometimes more than dangling but...

Of course it did not hurt that I had a boat at the time. We've spent a ot of happy times in, on or around water. I knew if she got close to water she would have to be in it.

Ina came home with wonderful stories of playing with Zoe and Kai. I don't think she has ever played with cars before in her whole life prior to this. I may be wrong but...

Meg said...

Thank you soooo much for letting me spend a week with you. All I can do is smile when I think about our week together. How many oldsters are allowed to play with abandon and glee? Building homes, playing house, climbing to tree houses, splashing at the beach, drawing and coloring etc. Fun-fun-fun. Add to that good chats, good food, good stories, hugs and love. A perfect time. I love each of you very much. Auntie i aka Me(g)