I finally had to do it. Not because my hair was coming out in clumps, revealing bald patches, but because I couldn't stand finding hairs all over my clothes, cleaning it out of the shower and sink drains. Waking up with my pillow covered with it. Mentally, I needed to move on.
So,
It was a happening. We all gathered around our kitchen table, held hands and squeezed. Berta suggested we all think of a chrysalis metamorphosing into something new and different. I cried at the first swipe of the shears, but after that I felt excited.
Zoe was in good spirits because we had done so much work preparing her for this moment. But Kai was not happy. He kept saying, "I no like your hair" and it was obvious that he was getting increasingly anxious about the whole thing. Berta suggested leaving some hair just for him to get used to it, and so that when I wear my hats, there'd be a little hair sticking out at the bottom. It was a good idea. 3 days later, he's still saying, "You look like a man", and "I no like your hair", and "Grow it back, mom", but he's not freaked out like he was. (Peter, notice the bracelet:)
What could've been a sad evening for me turned out to be special and empowering. The universe sent me friends who are helping change my perspective about the whole hair thing. It's going to be hard at times, but it's going to be a way I can better answer the question, who am I really?........ I am certainly not my hair.

4 comments:
How nice that you have so many friends around to love and support you during this. You certainly are not your hair as is evident in the picture of you looking in the mirror. Look at the smile on your face =]
Maybe you could tell Kai something about your hair being like his hair. I'm sure he will get used to it though.
We love you and are constantly thinking and praying for you.
You look amazingly beautiful. You are definitely not your hair....your spirit and beauty come from deep within.....but I'm gonna be honest here--if you have to shave your hair, having a gorgeous face like yours makes it less of a shock (maybe not to Kai, but he'll get there). Somehow, you manage to look more beautiful than ever even with all you are enduring. You are truly an inspiration to me. I'm so happy you had such a wonderful support network there with you.
XOXO, Molly
I dont know about Ina, but I like the look. Ina will too cuz you do look mavelous!!
You look SO GORGEOUS!!!!! I told you how amazing you would look without your hair. You have that beautiful smile that lights up the whole world. I only wish I was there physically with you to help support you through all this, but i'm definitely here for you mentally & emotionally =] Can't wait to see you =]
Post a Comment