When I was little, my Great Grandma Krueger wore a mustard seed necklace. It was a teenie-tiny, nondescript sphere encased in a glass pendant. When you shook it, the seed jumped around as if alive. I remember sitting close to her, staring at it, expecting it to sprout at any second. It never did, though. I couldn't figure out why it was so important to her, and I guess I never asked.
Today I was compelled to look up the meaning of that mustard seed. I'm not surprised to learn it's a Biblical symbol, as my Grandmother was a devout Christian. The quote that I found is this:
“For truly, I say to you, if you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move hence to yonder place,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you.”
Now, I'm not one to quote scripture, but I love this! I would give anything to wear my Grandmother's mustard seed around my neck. To remind me of the piece of her that I unlocked today, and of my own faith in the power to move mountains.

3 comments:
I have utmost faith in you to move any mountain you deem necessary.
We love you a whole bunch! See you Thursday.
You have already moved mountains!! Congratulations on completing your last day of chemo treatment. YAY!
Danette,
I will see if Gram has the necklace for you. We are so happy you are cancer free and think of you everyday. Love to you and Joseph, Zoe and Kai.
A. Jan
Post a Comment