As I sit on this mountain peak, I see 6 treatments behind me. Appointments, scans, prescriptions, shots, blood work, chemical IV's. The result of these treatments on my body were bearable, but also difficult. I kept the carrot in view, and I knew I was kicking ass.
From this mountain peak I also see 6 treatments in front of me. More of the same, only this time with the knowledge that the cancer is gone. People have responded to that news, "This will make the remaining treatments easier knowing that you're cancer free." After I heard this sentiment repeatedly, I tried really hard to adopt it as my own. But I have to admit that today's treatment was the hardest one yet because of that clear PET scan. My mind can't stop wondering, what are those poisons killing, if not cancer? It was a deep struggle to sit in that chair for 3 hours being pumped full of chemicals that I know are going to make me feel like shit. So, here I am wide awake on steroids, trying to concoct a plan as to how I'm going to sanely make it down the other side of this mountain.

2 comments:
well, my offering is from AA -
"keep coming back; it works if you work it."
i know where you are coming from, friend. keep hanging in. you are not alone
Dearest Danette, Remember what your oncologist said...that this type of cancer tends to hide. As a child, you were good at hiding from me. Just imagine that it is possible that there is a tiny, microscopic smidgeon of cancer hiding from that PET scan....thus the 6 more doses of harsh chemicals. To SHOUT at that cancer, "OUT, DAMN SPOT! OUT!!!!"
Post a Comment