Joseph's coming home to-day, do-da, do-da!!!!!!
Woke up with the light, head full of last minute details that need attention before his release. Bleach wipes in the bathrooms, paper towels by the sinks, hand sanitizers sprinkled around the house, bottled water a-plenty, and a pantry shelf dedicated to Joseph's (only!) snacks. Off to Nugget for ingredients to make his favorite dinner...Linguini with marinara sauce, chicken sausage, green salad and bread. The sauce is cooking already in anticipation of his foot through the door.
The kids don't know today is The day. They are at science camp and will come home to a Gargantuan Surprise!
I have mixed emotions at the moment. Excitement prevails, but there is a skosh of anxiety around the exposure risks. The nurses and doctors don't mean to frighten their transplant families, but it is essential that he follow certain guidelines that will take vigilance.
I also am wondering who this new Joseph will be, and how he will fit into our old life. If any change occurred within me throughout the last 20 days, it is that I love him even more than before. When the shit hits the fan, you see a person's true character emerge. I always knew Joseph was strong and positive and passionate, but during the past three weeks I also saw a determination that was ever-present. He didn't give in to his situation. Never felt sorry for himself when he was sick. Never got upset at the nurses for interrupting him. Didn't get angry at being attached to a pole 24/7.
I watched him adapt and accept his surroundings, yet not succumb to them.
So, hugs are the order for the day. Scrubbed ones, of course.

No comments:
Post a Comment