One of the highlights of that book club a week ago was that Elaine came from Arroyo Grande to be with us. She doesn't make it to many gatherings since her move to the coast, but this one, she moved mountains to attend. Speaking of moving mountains, she read my blog about the mustard seed necklace and found one for me in Arroyo. It arrived in an envelope, sounding like a packet of seeds when shook. Seed, yes. Out came the most beautiful necklace, more beautiful than my grandmother's I must admit, and perfect around my neck. Along with it came a poem by Elaine:
The strength that lies within a seed
A miracle indeed,
It gives us hope and courage
A belief we will succeed.
Alone, sometimes our thoughts awry
We question or we doubt,
The seed locked tight within
Requires love and care to sprout.
She and I have cultivated a friendship during the last 6 months that I treasure. Her emails and surprises in the mail have been nourishing when I needed it most. Once again, it's proof that cancer itself is not a gift, but the process changes you and your relationships forever.

1 comment:
That is so special... and so Elaine. She is a treasure for sure. Thank you for sharing her wonderful poem and gifts. Elaine is the definition of a good friend and I, too, feel so much love and respect for her.
Post a Comment